Fortress Of Freedom Board
Bringing The Mass Media To The Masses!

FAQ  Search  Usergroups  Memberlist  Profile  Log in to check your private messages  Register  Log in
A Social Club Of One.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 416, 417, 418  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll be playing two guitars at the same time for mood music. That’s what I’ll be doing in between Easter stuff this long weekend.

Digital pedal and slider guitar!

The easy way would be to record one track of music and then drop that into your editor and then play again adding more layers. However that does not work for me creatively, so I literally have to do it this way - more fun too! I may have to rip an amp out of our music booth to do this - but - maybe my amp can do it all…..

This is my actual Fender Player Plus main guitar!

For the last 2 decades I pined over correcting deficiencies in video audio - now - I get to create from scratch and it all starts this long weekend…..

This reminds me of that old movie called “ The Shout” - where a guy experimenting with sounds meets a man that claims he can kill living things with a shouting technique he learned from Australian Aborigines. Anyway I’m in the experimentation vibe at this moment in time. No learning the guitar equivalent of chopsticks - I think it’s “Achy Breaky Heart”. As an aside I have the rights to perform that song as I cut a check to CMRRA to do it, and the funny part is you make the check payable directly to Billy Ray Cyrus and not some management company! Anyway - one month in I’m still doing this guitar stuff so far…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/mRf4qfkmF1M

https://youtu.be/lEB4fXUvyXk
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long weekend starts…..

It started with me sleeping in till 1:30pm which is good as I needed it.

On Thursday Ontario/[MAG] finally acknowledged that it received my response so we await a decision. It’s 2023 and this was started in 2021 and is just a “heads up” as to how long these things take!

Like a said I’m keeping the Fender guitar as it has true Karma to me. I looked at the back to see two silver springs that attach to the two point bridge on the other side instead of the normal three. This is trickier to do and relatively unknown unless the guitarist really knows what he is doing. What that means is that whammy bar work is easier and both ways. This guitar was made for me and my delicate hands. This thing is a perfect fit. This thing called out for me in the store and I never let it out of my hands and a week later I’m even more attached to it! For an analytical guy like me this is a revelation of sorts as I know that feeling other musicians told me about when they found their “special” guitar. I’m calling it “Brownie” - BTW:

This is my actual Fender Player Plus main guitar!
Brownie

The cheap Kramer I use for slide guitar is now called “Slider”:

My old acoustic - Zen On:

Zen On

I’ll fool around with all my gear this weekend for sure.

My tub tap has plugged up from that initial sludge from my old water heater. Draining the heater fixed it and all other taps flow full power hot and clean, so it’s the valve. That’s a long story I’ll save for tomorrow.

I also got my 4K version of “Everything Everywhere all at Once”. It’s a grind to watch this thing. How does this win so maybe Academy Awards? Full breakdown later when I actually finish it…..

I’ll also wash the car before sundown and it is good to go for several days going forward. At six years old the brakes need service and maybe bearings. Spring is when I crawl a round and start working in the best car I ever owned!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/JtHNtA2Fn90
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alarm over AI has finally started with some asking for a six month halt on development. There is also some political interest here - but I think it’s too late. They can try as will I but I think giving a developing AI the Positive Mandate base engram is an idea who’s time has come. Otherwise we could all be doomed in one way or another.

Well, I’ve given up trying to remove the shower cartridge by myself. The guy who renovated the tub and shower rounded off the screw that holds part of the assembly to the cartridge. I got the cartridge from a hardware store for free but can’t get the old one off to replace. So more expense and may as well have it done this way as I’m sure the carrridge is also stuck. So now I have to shower downstairs.

So Saturday was a bust…..

It took two days but I finally forced myself to finish that movie Everything Everywhere all at Once. I truly hated this movie! A waste of my money. It’s good the Academy finally gave an Asian the award for the first time so maybe this was why, and also Jane Fonda finally getting an award. But man this was a grind to watch…..

Guitar corner:

I started making effects sounds on the slider. Glass sliders make the usual slider sounds but I bought a stainless steel slider today and just hovering it over the pickups (no contact with the strings) makes that 1950s/1960s scifi sound of some faster than light engine. It is wild how many scifi sounds from that era came from using a slider and an electric guitar.

The slider is on my finger, plus the Capo and thumb picks!

I tweaked Brownie’s neck alignment by wacking the head with my hand and it made a cracking sound and is now perfectly centered. I saw a master builder do that and it works! No damage to the finish or any of that - so you learn something new every day. I also got some strings for the guitars as some day they will snap.

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really late one today!

Late because I had the plumber come in extra early and fix the bathroom tub cartridge issue. Yes, even if I got the screw out - the cartridge was frozen in that housing and the cartridge was soiled shut with debris from the water heater. A new one is in place but I have to get a replacement plastic part to put the original handle on. The actual parts kit is under 10 bucks here in town but the plumber’s fee was nothing less than financial rape. But yes - what could I do?

So I’ll get the kit and put it all together and keep an eye in the flow. If is starts clogging up again it’s a new water heater and new cartridge put in by me.

IAIJ has new members but no articles I can put on the website. You would think things are dead there but no, things are very active.

After having finished the set up of my Fender Stratocaster, I was greeted with its first dent. The bizarre part is that I should have seen this before. I’m almost sure it wasn’t me but some time on the weekend I heard a thump in my bedroom and when I looked around I didn’t see anything unusual and I’m not even sure if the guitar was on the ground at the time.

The thing here is OCD - with a perfect instrument and getting that first ding. I got the first scratches before I took it home and the store gave me a discount for this and I made out of there like a bandit thinking I scored. But was the dent included? It’s very minor and you can’t feel it with your fingers if you run them over it. It’s not on the sides or the corners where the light would catch it. - it’s just above that on the lower front hidden in the black paint. Anyway it is there and it bothered me. Was it like that from the factory or on display - I say 35% factory and 65% display - if I didn’t do it myself. If I did it myself then all good there as it will continue to happen.

I love the quip one musician made that his life could be separated into two parts - his life before the dent in his “one and only” guitar and his life after the dent in his “one and only” guitar - yup, that puts it all in proper perspective.

Funny to see me pine over something minuscule like this while people are getting grave news on their health or having kids with birth defects or friends and family dying, and here I am obsessing over a barely discernible ding that didn’t even scratch the varnish. That is how bizarre my life is.….

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/rC9AH0X7e2w
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent Tuesday putting on the plastic piece the plumber broke off to get the screw out - thought about that but figured he knew a better way. I had to go to a a real hardware store for that kit - yes, Moen knew you will have to break that thing and the rounded off screw and even the hex screw your will lose during disassembly.

The problem with the is is that my assembly was extended out so the supplied screw would not fit and the extender kits were like 40 bucks for all screws and the extender tube. I only needed one screw so back to another hardware store with the buggered screw. Hint: they have this board with holes to see what diameter it is, and nuts to show you the thread size. Mine was a 10X24X1.5” and I saw a zinc plated one that worked but I was worried the thing would eventually rust out. But look - roll out trays with brass and stainless steel! So I got three stainless steel screws for 8 bucks and I was set. I did the rest my way with all screws and parts coated in vaseline and no stripped heads!

So now it works better than ever but to keep it that way means replacement of the old water tank. Maybe next week or so. Tomorrow I dump the sump pump near the excavated patio before water starts leaking into the basement during heavy rain storms.

Guitar corner:

I’m still bothered about the dent even if it came from the factory. That would explain how there is a dent but no damage to the ploy finish. So I believe someone bought the guitar and took it home and lovingly set it up with two springs and balanced the springs to the string cause it stays in tune. Then a few days later they notice the dent and take it back. It went down this way I’m sure with a toss up to whether it came from the factory with 2 springs. This was a Covid 19 guitar and quality control was hit and miss. Anyway, it’s my guitar now and set up the way I like it.

This is my guitar, there are many like it but this one is mine!

The two springs mean I can whammy it without the bar. Pressing the back of the bridge to go up in tune and pull up the back to go down and all with your fingers or palm. Some pull on the strings instead but that’s too harsh for me - maybe they have three in the back. Two springs mean a light tough and that is me. A light tough also means a better sounding tone in my opinion.

Finding you dream guitar is like this. Karma and then after the newness you take a hard look - warts and all, then final acceptance that it’s the one. Sort of like finding a wife. Anyway, that’s how this guitar purchase went down and it’s not going back. This is the guitar for me - warts and all and more warts to come…..

7,560.00 at Cosmo Music!

BTW: Fender makes dented and worn out guitars new and sells them for 6,000.00 - 7,000.00 dollars, and yes this is an actual specialty market!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/WIJzgiJQGhw
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Shane’s second single is officially out:

Maurice Ali wrote:
Shane's Tryin’ Released!

By Maurice Ali, FOF Inc. / FOF Records Inc.

The Fortress of Freedom Corporation and FOF Records Inc. have officially released Shane's latest single Tryin’! What follows are some of the digital and social platforms you will soon be able to buy or stream the song:

iTunes. Apple Music, SimfyAfrica, YouTube Art Tracks, Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Play, Deezer, iHeartRadio, Napster, MediaNet, VerveLife, Tidal, Gracenote, Shazam, 7 Digital, Juke, Slacker, KKBox, Akazoo, Anghami, Spinlet, Neurotic Media, Yandex, Target Music, Claromusica, Zvooq, Saavn, 8Tracks, Q.Sic, Musicload, Kuack, Boomplay Music, TikTok, Pandora (but they decide if you are worthy).

You can buy the song from iTunes or stream it on all the popular streaming sites like Spotify or Tidal or Apple Music. There is a large number of stores here and some may take a few more days to show up but they will!

Shane!

So all of us at FOF congratulate Shane for a great new single and wish Shane continued success as his music gets out there!

https://shanemurphy.ca

https://fofrecords.com

FOF RECORDS: CUTTING EDGE MUSIC!

One more to come!

Back at the office we took care of the Annual Return for FOF Entertainment Inc. and finally got that out of the way. It used to be easy but almost anyone could do it without any security protocols, but they would not as they would have to pay the annual fee to make it happen - so that seemed to work until lately. Now you need a “key” and two factor verification. My iPhone saved the credentials so it was easy but clear the cache and it will probably all disappear.

I have no time but with the tub/shower issues fixed I have time to check things out and update the websites. I have to add songs to SOCAN and we actually always seem to get money from them now.

Music corner:

I started writing my first legitimate song. Give me a few days and I’ll let you see where I’m at with that. Poetry and rhyme is easier like one of my first songs called “I Don’t Want Ebola”- that will never see the light of day but it did have rhythm and it did rhyme. Anyway I’m doing - or trying to do the songwriting thing now.

Guitar corner:

That latest dent or whatever it is was still bugging me so I wiped off parts of the guitar and looked for more wear and tear - and I found more! Right beside that dent was this bigger longer dent that you could not feel with your fingers, maybe an inch long but so subtle you can easily miss it. Could be factory but I suspect more dings at the store - but this one you really have to look for and maybe I’ll be the only one that sees it. So after getting all big-eyed about that, I then noticed on the back this tiny nick right on a seam on the belly cut. Maybe a 1mm nick but this time it was a nick. You can see it easily but it’s so minor you might think it was a speck of dust. Anyway when I noticed that I bust out laughing! The newness and OCD perfection left -literally I felt it, more of like a heaviness dissipating, but in reality just my muscles relaxing - because this was now a lost cause. It is in no way new now…..

So calculating, it took five faint scratches (not on the wood, two on metal and three on plastic), one minor factory neck radius screwup, two dents and one nick and the preoccupation on perfection is now over! Bursting out laughing was the moment - no more angst and bother, this was getting ridiculous so I laughed. All that happened before I bought it and if I saw it all at the store I probably would have got more off the price, but would have still bought it.

The first guitar (Slider) is passed it’s 30 day return window. The Fender is on day 13 and I really have no intention to return it. I might have thought about it but there are no other guitars like mine to be bought unless you go like 3000kms away sight unseen. So this one is all mine and now I can concentrate on learning the art of the guitar. But is was enlightening to so quickly find out how many knocks and scrapes it takes to get over the new guitar OCD!

Hypercar corner:

Normally I’m a car guy but I never ogle the Ferrari or McLaren super cars but a bashed up and flooded Mclaren bought for almost 600,000 dollars has me hooked. A guy on YouTube called Tavarish bought it and it came with house video of the car bashing around in the garage as the hurricane flooded it and then the garage door gave way and the car floated down the street for more bashing around. Total mileage was only 300 miles when it happened.

He actually wants to make this car whole! So he now has my attention…..

So that’s what is happening now…..

Goodnight

https://youtu.be/Zi-WDZCyg5s
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off to bed…..

But before I sleep I have to veer away from intellectual breaks like the guitar distraction and mention that we collectively are playing with fire - the AI business again.

The world is smaller than you know. The end of the world is closer than you think. I sometimes tell people and especially young 20 somethings, that I may live to see the end of the world just like them, but with many more years of life under my belt. In a world coming to an end the young may look at the old with jealousy - or not - hehehehehe…..

In this realm, I said an old guy like me was one of the last to remember life before computers and watch and participate in its development. My dad is too old now, but there are a few pioneers still around in their mid-seventies like Geoffrey Hinton who bizarrely is just a 20 minute drive from my house. He worked at Google Brain and the University of Toronto and was one of the pioneers of AI so to speak. 75 years old is a good run but is he and his contemporaries (as I don’t know the man) still taking into account the implications of all of this anymore? Are any of these folk balancing fame and/or life’s work against societal change?

He and his kind are running out of time just like me, but is that last push to sentience or “creating the wheel” quip of his the right choice before senility? If he had an extra 50 years he may have taken a more measured and societally reflective pace with development. Human’s greatest weakness is their very short lifespan.

I think our way of life is in jeopardy and I have offered that new Global Social Contract and the Positive Mandate to the world at the places that matter. What do open letters matter, it should be at places like the UN and international policies signed and voted on regarding AI and its ramifications.

We are probably too late. Seriously, we should probably set the Positive Mandate as a base engram for the latest AI versions and just cross our fingers. And here I was this last February an hour a way from giving a speech about the Global Social Contract at the United Nations - while running around in the bowels of the Secretariat Building trying to get the ideas out to the the Secretary General who wanted that new Global Social Contract! Seriously - what more can I do?

I will now admit my little escapade to get the material to the Secretary General and Deputy Secretary General felt like secret agent stuff and then back to my seat amazed I pulled it off. That “was” a satisfying moment but you would never know what just happened when I started to give my speech. Then it was slinking out of the conference room to catch my plane and back to eating supper at my Dad’s place in Toronto and watching Youtube videos as I always did, later that night. That day was a surgical strike, a pseudo James Bond/bizarre day and moment just trying to make the world a better place. And six hours later you are back to your life as Mr. Nobody. Nobody would believe me if I told them, but I lived it - at least I really tried, and with simple concepts and ideas everyone on earth would understand. That is the beauty of my ideas, no intellectual elitism here - everyone knows what my ideas are about!

Anyway - back to AI: You just carry on and I laughed at the open letters - too little too late. Where was this chatter a few years ago when I started to get concerned about it. Bill Gates tries to put a positive spin on it as Microsoft is all in on the AI game. But even he notes there are some tricky bits of concern in AI. I give humanity 16 days from the birth of true sentient AI and I truly hope I’m wrong on that note.

So back to all this shit again! I was happier worrying about a scratch and dent on my miserable guitar - a nice break that - then back to all this crap…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/c_IZ8iHiwWk
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought a new water tank and expected to have it installed some time in the future. Then I found out they wanted 650 bucks to install it - that was it! Enough! So on Friday I will set it up to be delivered on the weekend and do it myself. I did the one going bad like over 2 decades ago - so - and that means buying a new tank of propane and some new pipe and I may as well replace the old shut off with a new one. Some of the piping on the old tank will fit in with the new as they are almost identical. The only problem is getting the new tank in and the old tank out and taken away. But saving 650 dollars is worth it!

Anyway, the water heater gets delivered on Saturday.

One thing I forgot to mention about my trip to the UN (that I couldn’t mention before) is the jump in development in what I was doing there. First I was just amazed to be there like while trying to get status in 2015. All you did was hope and pray and give them whatever they wanted. Then you get status and can choose events closed to others, but still you apply and hope and pray. If lucky they tell you where to go what you can say and when and all that - most are happy just to be there and can stay there forever. Then you get where I am with that speech business just a ruse; and there you are on your own, wandering around the place making your own moves with everyone giving you these bug-eyes - lol - as you do your own unique thing. No better feeling of accomplishment doing that and it pained me to keep quiet at the time. But last February was the polar opposite of where I was at in my first trip in 2015…..

So while i was thinking of the success of getting my letters and books to the Secretary General and Deputy Secretary General, I still picked up my guitar to admire it and look at its imperfections and groan…..

And there you have it. Delivering a new Global Social Contract to some of the most powerful people in the world - something that could change the world - and then pining over dents on a 1700 dollar guitar - and there you have human beings. I have no idea on the success of that mission at the UN. I did my part and if the Secretary General’s people actively keeps the stuff from him when I literally had them sent to his office - well - that is on him and his organization - I did my stuff as best as I could!

If we get sentient AI, they will look at us as we would have looked at Neanderthals and it would just get worse from there. You can actually see Neanderthal markings in the Cave of Altamira (Spain). Actual drawings by Neanderthals. And what happened to the Neanderthals? - we killed them off. This is life or death and in a closed area there are only so much food and such - so one kills off the other to survive and grow. The schism will be even greater between a sentient AI and all of us after they realize the remaining resources on earth are finite - what do you think will happen…..

Meanwhile, “back at the ranch” (old Bonanza TV show reference nobody under 55 would know about), the CRA called me about FOF Records about a minor detail. IAIJ and FOF Records are the only two companies I regularity get calls on, and I suspect it is musicians at the CRA that call for FOF Records and those that took journalism for IAIJ - it has to be! The only other companies I got calls about was FOF and it’s HST filings - snooze…..

The IRS in the states just mails me stuff. May as well check that out as well next week. And yes that is for FOF Records and IAIJ!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/m_5MtGCWImE
Code:
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday is replace the hot water heater day.

I’m draining the old tank as we speak. Next is to the hardware store for the connectors and extra wire as they put the electrical connections on top now. I’m going to forgo the modern connections and solder the existing pipe to the new tank. The outlets are in the same positions and the new tank is half an inch higher! So we shall see if I get away with it.

I still have power to the house and cold water so if it drags into Sunday I still have plenty of time. Oh, and I still admired my guitar in the bright light this time. I discovered a teeny tiny nick on the head edge you can’t feel with the edge of your nail at all. And that seems to be it for the guitar. All flaws revealed and from now it is all on me. I’m still keeping her!

Goodnight…..
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the hot water heater is basically installed.

Handyman Corner:

I hooked it all up with those non-solder connections and amazingly, the connections to the copper tubing held! But it was the one connection to the cold water inlet that was at 90 degrees that had a super slow leak that would not go away with tightening. It would if you let it sit for a few days as there is all kinds of debris that will plug the hole, but as soon as you breathe on it the leak will start again.

My new water heater with those non-solder connectors!

So I got some silicon and just sealed up the top part of the fitting and that should do it for now. I agree with the plumbers that these connections are temporary - like 5 years before you get a leak or the liners disintegrate. The one I bought should not shed as it’s plastic but the popular SharkBite will when they get old. I tried the soldering but they don’t sell the plain copper connector and the new ones were a complete fail - so…..

Monday morning we should be good to go so then I’ll know for sure.

AI Corner:

So Elon Musk registered a corporation call X.AI Corp on March 28 and kept it quiet with just an few officers listed. He then starts buying GPUs. Then he puts his name on an open letter calling for a six month stop to AI development. Well, what do you make of that? Some say he did all this to catch up with Google and Microsoft. But there must be something more at play here because he didn’t buy an AI company, he just registered a new corporation. So I will not pass judgement but just let things roll and see what happens.

Music Corner:

I had to put the guitar stuff and the song writing stuff on hold to deal with the plumbing problems but soon we will pick it up and start producing hideous song writing to horrible guitar work. I was watching handyman videos and hear really basic guitar plucking, and that my friends is the handyman premiering his new songs on YouTube! Hopefully that is “not” me…..

Personal Life Corner:

I’m spending Sunday night at my dad’s place as the water is turned off at my place in order to cure the silicon. The tank is wired for electricity and I did it proper by lengthening the cable and having it all armoured and fastened correctly. In the electrical box I used locking electrical connectors where you have a ring of copper and a set screw that tightens on the wires and then you just twist on the enclosure. So no slipping out of cable ends ever with this system!

Also, I dragged my old tank to the city’s property in front of my house at about 7:30am. Six hours later without me doing anything a truck pulls up and takes it to the scrap yard - and here I wanted to bribe the installers with 60 bucks to take it away. Let this be a lesson for all of you!

I spent the rest of the day putting all my tools and supplies back where they are supposed to be; moved everything back to where it was as I had to move many things to get the new tank in and the old tank out. Then I took the family for a walk in the ravine near our house and bought some Chinese food for supper.

Rain tonight so I took a chance and just tossed the sump pump in the basin and plugged it in and no leaks! This will not last but not having to change the hose this weekend was really welcomed!

And that was my weekend. Monday morning has me test the fittings for leaks again and flipping the switch to heat the water. Then soaking in the tub and preening myself up a bit for the new week.

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/VEzdWik86q8
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m looking into a lot of what Elon Musk has been doing in his corporate structure.

Remember that I sent a fat package to Mr. Musk, way back when the acquisition of Twitter was first happening. Funnily enough my suggestion for a revamped Twitter has taken hold. Could be coincidence, but this guy is mercurial and not afraid to change policy on the fly if a better one is offered even on Twitter for example.

Our package to Elon sent in May!

He and Larry Page were friends back in the day and Page (co-founder of Google) had a more misanthropic view on sentient AI while Musk was more pro-human. Musk has a lot of kids so I assume he wants to keep humanity going. Page does have 2 kids. I have no kids and when I get pissed off with humanity I have hinted that maybe it’s best just to let the sentient AI have a go at things and maybe humanity’s real goal was just to create sentient AI - but I digress…..

Elon Musk

Hearing Musk talk about AI is juxtaposed by me watching my dad on TV answering almost the same questions about computers taking over - how weird is that! I was nine years old at the time and dad was teaching people at NAIT and we had people around the world there - most particularity from China (they would come over to our house on the weekend, even though we had a second larger house across the street from the University of Alberta - he could have used). Anyway, dad was considered an expert at the time and was on a morning show on TV in Edmonton and the news guy asks him flat out about computers taking over the world, and my dad said that was basically impossible - how times have changed. A strange experience, me and my mom huddled in front of the TV to watch dad…..

Dear old dad back in the day when he was interviewed!

I’m out of time here. Just visited the office and more mail from the IRS for FOF Records - like I said, there are musicians everywhere! I soaked in the tub with hot water - that was refreshing. But - yes - watching my dad 54 years ago telling us we had nothing to fear and that computers would never take over; and then watching Musk answer the same questions today was so weird with me and my 90 year old dad (this time) watching that interview. It was like something out of the twilight zone.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/a2ZBEC16yH4
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early one today…..

Talk about how fortunes can change in a matter of months! A year ago talking about sentient AI and a base engram for it to stay on our good side was stuff to talk about at sci-fi conventions. Now it is almost a talking point at serious conferences. Just how bizarre a turnaround is that! Anyway, I have to revamp the website:

https://sentientai.net

My contributions are just some thoughts on the right conditions for sentient AI but most importantly having the AI embrace the idea of the Positive Mandate for Humanity as its base prime directive or “engram”. This at least gives humanity a chance if and when sentience takes place on silicon. So a new area to pitch the positive mandate - at AI conferences…..

What the hell is this? Oh yes, some coding of mine!

This just shows how fast things can turn on a dime. One minute things are quiet and you take up playing guitar - then two weeks later you are in a race to promote your philosophy to save humanity from AI! I was actually thinking just a few weeks ago that maybe this was it, and things just dwindle down from now on - now I’m running around like a mad man. I returned the expensive vacuum I bought in Monday as I need more money in the war chest. A cheap vacuum will fill its place.

Just how wild is that! And as the saying goes, truth is stranger than fiction…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/9TEEm04Uimo

https://youtu.be/i2rXce886UY

https://youtu.be/uPpuON9W7BQ
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were wondering why posts were getting a bit “squirrelly” it was because of Musk really breaking the silence of the AI debate and making it common chatter. I don’t care about politics or any of that, I just want my ideas to get out there and Musk has saved me years by bringing the AI issue to the forefront.

So now I’m rushing around rejigging things to have a proper platform to get into debates with regard to AI. The book is a tool to get access to conferences and events. It is a prop in every way possible.

I think it would be a good idea to get a book about my AI sentiments out as fast as possible. Currently they reside in the positive mandate but rejigging things could make a very real book about AI that I could use to reference as I apply to speak at events. This will come out very fast - this first edition - and I’ll put it on sale and let the search engines find it and have it come up in a search of my name. I’m reworking this as we speak and that is all I have to say on the matter right now.

Guitar corner:

Gibson ES-335

My future guitar collection would be as follows.

Stratocaster

Telecaster

SG

Acoustic

Why the 335 instead of the usual Les Paul? I love the hollow body with the violin openings - so a sort of electric/acoustic guitar. And I figured I needed a “big guitar” for a change.

I’m a strat man first and then a Telecaster - so firmly a Fender guy. It goes from there…..

Right now it is getting out the AI book. We start with the AI stuff and move to the positive mandate as an engram and the global social contract to enact policies about things like AI if the current international tools don’t work in these cases. And that is the book right there. I don’t like being rushed but you have to take advantage of the opportunities that come along and we are talking about months now till I get involved.

0-100mph in the advocacy world - that is where I’m at right now!

Goodnight…..

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27dau3

https://youtu.be/jSJGEn4FDys
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first off is an interesting IAIJ article about menstruation in Kenya. No I’m not making that up and if interested you can read it here:

https://iaij.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1104

Yes, the association is very much active. The hardest and most frustrating part of this is the emailing of documents like that article. We usually use Microsoft Office docx files, but even so I have to separate words and paragraphs and sleuth around for what that word was and so on. Then I email back the journalist to approve the article as identical to the original. That’s how it works here. Usually the only changes are the titles to Associated Press format.

With regard to the AI book, the title should be:

Artificial Intelligence and a Positive Mandate for Humanity

The big question was to substitute “a” for “the” but “a” is definitely the way to go. The cover should look something like this:

I kept the Positive Mandate and Global Social Contract books plain to mimic how many Bibles are manufactured, they don’t need to be prettied up to read. But the Worldwide Vote and AI books can have some artwork and this is what I have settled on though nothing is set in stone yet.

My Academic Research Paper!

If you are wondering how I can produce another book this fast, it is because all the parts are already there. Forget about the main part of the book that was written in 2019, I also did a research paper in an abridged format and in the academic style needed for academic submission to academic journals. It didn’t go anywhere and I was pissed off at spending a whole weekend on it! But now it goes to the Appendix if anyone wants my ideas in a familiar academic format. I have a leg up on the others as this issue has been on my mind for years. Actually since the early 1980s when my dad and his colleagues talked about Qubits at the dinner table back then. That is how long this stuff has been in my head!

This is so weird, just a few days ago I was planning guitar lessons and more guitars to buy, and all that is on the back burner. Now I’m writing another book - didn’t see that coming - I really didn’t see that coming…..

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/X5OT7f5hetM
Maurice Ali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short and sweet.

The book has come in today at about 150 pages. Forget about next Monday, this thing needs two weeks at least to get the first edition made. I softened up the title and took “sentient” out of it. The body of the book will be more inclusive and aggressive in the topics.

Basically a sentient form of AI seems to be in the offing sooner or later, and it would be foolish to give birth or this form of AI and not give it some sort of core values to start with, but human values won’t work. It won’t work because we are biological and it is not. The Positive Mandate will work though and it gives the AI its first feeling and called that good! So far so good but how will the AI be accepted into a world built on and for biological entities? It won’t work as entire constitutions would have to fundamentally change. But with a new Global Social Contract we could easily amend things to include sentient AI - if that ever happens.

Anyway, all that has to be updated and that will take at-least a week. It is true, we will probably not get total consensus on these issues with a vote at the UN that sticks. We need that new third house to keep developing as a species. And we need it for anything new that comes along that was never envisioned in the present geo-political social situation.

Anyway I start really working on this starting on Saturday.

Another odd thing. While I was unsure of my future with regard to advocacy I started to feel like an old man. I’m looking more like an old man but feeling like an old man was a new thing. Now in the last few days my metabolism has crept up a bit. No denying it as of today. The Fates flick the switch and you are back in action like 100%.

The Fates

I need time to adjust but there is no time. You are in a race and you own this! Maybe a better word is that you inherited this from your father. All those characters in my dad’s upstart computer science faculty share some of this but dear old dad seems to have really started it in that corner of the world. Now the legacy is on me. So The Fates breathed a little more life into me. And here I was getting used to being like everyone else…..

Dad’s new Faculty of Computer Science back in the day at NAIT. Look at all the women, women and minorities found it easier to get ahead in the new field of computers!

Goodnight…..

https://youtu.be/YuQqlhqAUuQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortress Of Freedom Board Forum Index -> Social Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 416, 417, 418  Next
Page 392 of 418

Jump to: